Religious Education is for Friends and friends of all ages! Our First Day School is for young people 18 and under but our lessons are for everyone! We also have programs geared to older Friends. Like our Quaker forebears, we believe that God’s Light shines particularly brightly in children and we are careful to nurture that Light with tenderness and care.
- Dec. 04, 10:00 to 10:45 AM Nursery: The children will have stories, games, art, and play. First Day School: The Quaker Elevator Speech – Ever been asked “What’s a Quaker?” and find yourself searching for an answer? We’re going to spend a few weeks in First Day school exploring this question. In the end, we’ll create short answers that anyone can give in the time it takes to complete an elevator ride. Helping the kids find answers that are personalized to them will be encouraged, but we’ll all help each other to get there.
- Dec. 11, Christmas Poem practice
- Dec. 18, Christmas Poem practice, with performance at Rise of Meeting (about 11:00 AM) with Tree Trimming directly following and Mud Club! Later at 4:00, join us for our holiday bonfire, potluck and gift exchange!
- Dec. 25, First Day School and the Nursery closed for the holiday.
- Dec. 31 at 7:30 PM Quaker Parent Get-Together (virtual) Click Here for the meeting link.
- Jan. 01 at 7:30 PM Goose Creek Teen Group ages 13-18 (virtual) Click Here for the meeting link.
Sign up to volunteer in First Day School, the Nursery, or for our 2nd hour programs, it’s fun!
Being a Friendly Adult Presence (FAP) is a really positive and fun experience – a great way to get to know our younger Friends! During 12th month Burying grounds and Hospitality committees are scheduled to help us recruit volunteers. Click the button below to sign up to be a Friendly Adult Presence for the First Day School and/or the Nursery. Thank you!
If you want to help but do not wish to use the Signup Genius application, email Maria and she’ll be happy to add you to the calendar.
Check out Goose Creek Friends Story-time – Anytime!
Click here to watch stories read by Erin at your convenience!
Each First Day we have a nursery for children from birth to kindergarten and First Day School for kindergartners to 12th graders. Babies, children, and young Friends begin worship with the adults at 9:45 in the meeting room. At 10 a.m., led by the teachers, they leave Meeting for Worship and move to the gathering room for the nursery and First Day School.
Lessons cover everything from Quaker history and testimonies, to the Bible and Christianity, other faith practices, and spiritual paths.
In the lessons, the adults not only seek to impart knowledge but also to listen to each child with a whole heart and to allow them space and respect to find that of God within him or herself.
At the end of the school year, Goose Creek holds Book Sunday where every child who participated in First Day School over the previous year is presented with a book. This is followed by an ice cream social to celebrate the start of the summer vacation.
We also encourage our young people to participate in Baltimore Yearly Meeting’s Camping Program, where they can experience wholesome fun outdoors and learn how to “live” the Quaker Way of peace and mutual respect and love in community with other young people. During the school year, middle and high schoolers can also participate in BYM’s Young Friends and Junior Young Friends weekends.
18204 Lincoln Road
Purcellville, VA 20132
PO Box 105
Lincoln, VA 20160