Religious Education is for Friends and friends of all ages! Our First Day School is for young people 18 and under but our lessons are for everyone! We also have programs geared to older Friends. Like our Quaker forebears, we believe that God’s Light shines particularly brightly in children and we are careful to nurture that Light with tenderness and care.
- Mud Club meets every first and third Friday of the month at 1:00 at the Meeting House – the next Mud Club is August 5th. For more information, click here to email Cameron. Click here to follow Mud Club news on Facebook!
- Upcoming in First Day School & Nursery: August 7 from 10:00 to 10:45 AM. In First Day School: Discussion Group, SPICES, and Advertising Design. Nursery: Games and play.
- Religious Education Planning Discussion, August 14 at the rise of Meeting. All are welcome. We will discuss the ideas covered in Mary Snyder’s book, Opening Doors to Quaker Religious Education and how we might apply them as we move into the new school year.
- Cannot make it to Meeting? Click here to check out some DIY First Day School lessons.
- Quaker Parent Get-Together – Saturday, August 27, at 7:30 PM (virtual).
- Goose Creek Teen Group (ages 13-18) – Sunday, August 28, 7:30 PM (virtual).
Masks are optional in both the Meeting House and the Nursery
For more information, click here to email Cameron
Friendly Adult Presence Sign Up
The Ministry & Worship and Religious Education committees have Finding FAP duty this month of August! Click the button below to sign up to be a Friendly Adult Presence for the First Day School and/or the Nursery. Thank you!
Check out Goose Creek Friends Story-time – Anytime!
Click here to watch stories read by Erin at your convenience!
Each First Day we have a nursery for children from birth to kindergarten and First Day School for kindergartners to 12th graders. Babies, children, and young Friends begin worship with the adults at 9:45 in the meeting room. At 10 a.m., led by the teachers, they leave Meeting for Worship and move to the gathering room for the nursery and First Day School.
Lessons cover everything from Quaker history and testimonies, to the Bible and Christianity, other faith practices, and spiritual paths.
In the lessons, the adults not only seek to impart knowledge but also to listen to each child with a whole heart and to allow them space and respect to find that of God within him or herself.
At the end of the school year, Goose Creek holds Book Sunday where every child who participated in First Day School over the previous year is presented with a book. This is followed by an ice cream social to celebrate the start of the summer vacation.
We also encourage our young people to participate in Baltimore Yearly Meeting’s Camping Program, where they can experience wholesome fun outdoors and learn how to “live” the Quaker Way of peace and mutual respect and love in community with other young people. During the school year, middle and high schoolers can also participate in BYM’s Young Friends and Junior Young Friends weekends.
18204 Lincoln Road
Purcellville, VA 20132
PO Box 105
Lincoln, VA 20160